Disclaimer: This is currently a Pilot Program and this file may change based on the results and feedback.
DEI Project Statement
Include Your Project Name/Logo Here
[Project Name] prioritizes and reflects on DEI through a regular review of project policies and performance based on the ever-evolving CHAOSS project DEI metrics and information in the All In DEI Resource Hub.
[Project Name] has reflected on DEI related to:
- Project Access
- Description of how your project addresses project access. A sample description is:
- Project access is addressed in the [Project Name] through a variety of different efforts. Through these efforts, we aim to support access for all. Specific efforts in our project include:
- All virtual meetings are transcribed via the Zoom annotation tool and members are able to join via their computer or phone. Video is not required to participate in virtual meetings.
- Virtual meetings are attentive to global time zones. While the majority of our meetings occur during times that are most easily accessed by members in North America, South America, Western Europe, and Africa, virtual meetings are also held to support [Project Name] members in Asia-Pacific and Eastern Europe.
- Global chapters of [Project Name] have been established in Africa, LATAM, Asia-Pacific, and Eastern Europe to support activities and people in a variety of global regions.
- Translation services are provided for all website pages.
- Our project regularly performs an accessibility audit on our website and project documentation.
- Communication Transparency
- Description of how your project addresses communication transparency. A sample description is:
- Communication Transparency is addressed in the [Project Name] through a variety of different efforts. Through these efforts, we aim to support transparency for all. Specific efforts in our project include:
- All project documentation is publicly available via Google Docs and shared via our [Project Name] community handbook.
- Appropriate documentation is shared at the start of every working group meeting.
- Slack channels are regularly reviewed to determine if they should be public or private channels as well as considering if a channel is needed any longer.
- All virtual meetings are recorded and uploaded to our project YouTube channel.
- Decisions that impact the project are shared across numerous working groups meetings and associated Slack channels to ensure that as many project members can participate in the process.
- Newcomer Experiences
- Description of how your project addresses the newcomer experience. A sample description is:
- The newcomer experience is addressed in the [Project Name] through a variety of different efforts. Through these efforts, we aim to support the newcomer experience for all new members. Specific efforts in our project include:
- Newcomer events are held on a weekly basis in the [Project Name]. These events include newcomer orientation sessions and office hours open to all with an interest.
- [Project Name] has a dedicated #newcomer channel on Slack where newcomers can join and learn about different ways to connect with the project.
- We have a newcomer bot that provides detailed information on how to engage with the [Project Name]. The bot is available by typing ‘newbie’ in the #newcomer Slack channel.
- A quickstart guide for newcomers is posted on our website and made available through the main website navigation.
- Inclusive Leadership
- Description of how your project addresses inclusive leadership. A sample description is:
- Inclusive leadership is addressed in the [Project Name] through a variety of different efforts. Through these efforts, we aim to support leadership opportunities for project members with an interest. Specific efforts in our project include:
- Our [Project Name] governance document is reviewed and affirmed on a yearly basis to identify and articulate roles within the project that help guide the strategic direction of the project.
- Global chapters of our project in Africa, LATAM, Asia-Pacific, and Eastern Europe are led by people from those regions. Chapter leads help set the strategic direction of the [Project Name] as best suited in different global settings.
- Different people serve as conference committee participants across the different global events we organize.
- Working group meetings provide the opportunity to be led by different people at each meeting. While each working group has identified ‘chairs’, leading a meeting provides an opportunity to lead for all members.
[Project Name] recognizes that the inclusion of the DEI.md file and the provided reflection on the four DEI metrics does not ensure community safety nor community inclusiveness. The inclusion of the DEI.md file and CHAOSS DEI review statement signals that we are committed to continually improving our DEI by regularly reviewing and reflecting on our project DEI practices, and on a regular and annual basis, updating this statement and project policies in-line with the review findings.
If you do not feel that the DEI.md file appropriately addresses concerns you have about community safety and inclusiveness, please let us, in the [Project Name], know. You can do this by checking out our Code of Conduct (link) to raise concerns you have with the Code of Conduct team.
Last Reviewed: [Enter Date]
Additional Recommendations Regarding the DEI.md File
- If using GitHub, place the DEI.md file in your organizational .github repository, similar to your CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md file
- If using GitHub and a .github folder is not available or used, place the DEI.md file in a community repository
- If you have a project website, provide a link to your DEI.md file from the main project navigation